David’s list of TOP WEBSITE LINKS for Canadian nonprofit/charity leaders.
- LEADERS: THE 4 DISCIPLINES OF A HEALTHY ORGANIZATION Wealth of resources … Click here and scroll down to bottom
BOARD BEST PRACTICES (6 links here): Such a goldmine of help here from: a) Canadian resource – click here sample policies & governance tools and tips; b) from the U.S. click here for free download resources; and here to purchase the terrific “nonprofit policy sampler” 3rd edition $90 – PDF download and c) from Canada for larger nonprofits/charities click here (and then in search box type “20 questions not-for-profit” and d) for smaller organizations without staff support click here for “Grassroots Governance” and interesting story “janitor in the boardroom” click here.
RE-THINKING “STRATEGIC PLANNING” (4 links here): (Please email David to see our best practice Strategic Plan template.) Online resources: a) click here and scroll for several excellent articles, b) click here what role should the board play in strategic planning, c) click here if you have a board but no staff (yes you can still be strategic!), and d) click here and in search box type “20 questions not-for-profit strategy”
MANAGING STAFF (Canadian – 3 links here): 1) Excellent H.R. Toolkit (whether you have human resource staff or not), click here and I suggest starting with “I am a manager” which is in middle of page. 2) “20 Questions” booklet click here and 3) article with many valuable links written for for-profits obviously but still very helpful click here for this posting on staff accountability
- NONPROFIT BOARD LIABILITY EXPLAINED (Canadian – 2 links here): The best paper I’ve read click here. And from a law firm’s perspective click here
- LEGAL RISK MANAGEMENT CHECKLISTS (Canadian): click here for separate nonprofit, charity and church checklists from this well-regarded law firm for charities
- OPERATIONAL RISK MANAGEMENT (Canadian – 4 links here): Volunteer Alberta created Risk Management helpful basic overview with 5 links in green bar click here . A valuable 20 Questions PDF click here. Volunteer Canada/Public Safety Canada has this click here Best Practice Screening Tactics. From the USA here is a goldmine of articles and checklists: click here Nonprofitrisk.org
- INSURANCE FOR NONPROFITS (4 links here):Here is a helpful Volunteer Alberta overview click here Insurance Toolkit. Here are two documents David wrote click here for a short list of liability policies (I suggest you consider #1, #2 and #3 if you have paid staff at the least) and click here for Explaining Liability Insurance Policies. One trusted colleague, Derek Grieve, has an insurance blog for nonprofits click here. Finally, click here and view starting page 33 for Nonprofit specific – 20 Questions regarding Directors’ and Officers’ liability insurance Email David (firstname.lastname@example.org) for his free document “12 questions to email your Insurance broker 2 months before your renewal”.
RISK MANAGEMENT POLICY CREATION: Yes it’s American so keep eye on Canadian law, but it’s customizable. Low cost. Multiple best practice wording choices on 150 different policies. Click here
- CHARITIES & THE C.R.A. (Canadian – 3 links here): Here is help filing your annual form Click here for 3010quickprep.ca and more help with click here requirements for charities and click here for CRA’s own checklists and resources
- FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT & CAPACITY BUILDING: Budgeting, Records & Financial Statements and Audits, click here (thanks again to Imagine Canada) and several great links on many areas including capacity building click here.
- OVERALL BEST PRACTICE STANDARDS (Canadian) 73 Standards for all Nonprofits and Charities cover board governance, staff management, volunteers, fundraising and finance. Click here. Not just for large charities (Level 1 sets standards for nonprofits/charities with under 5 staff). A who’s who of Canadian charities have adopted these.
- IF YOU NEED A BOOST (4 links here): My favourite finds so far: 1) this amazing senior in 70’s on importance of play click here; 2) click here to read article and see both picture on policeman and man he saved ; 3) click here for picture – shark takes his leg, he’s back surfing with prosthetic leg in those waters and 4) if you are a person of faith like myself, this Irish girl’s raw honesty, gentle and funny and disarming, is my video of the decade – click here
QUESTION FOR YOU: Do you know of a great website you think should be up here? Please email me.
QUESTIONS FOR DAVID: Please email me anytime on any of these topics, I want to help your nonprofit or charity if you are in Canada.
My email addresses: email@example.com
David Hartley, B.A., C.R.M. (Canadian Risk Management)