David’s list of TOP WEBSITE LINKS for Canadian nonprofit/charity leaders.
- OUR LATEST FREE TOOL (2 links here): a simple Excel-based tool to build your staff (or volunteer) engagement and performance: click here for our December 2017 newsletter. If you are interested, click here to subscribe (no charge, approximately 4 newsletters per year).
- LEADERS: THE 4 DISCIPLINES OF A HEALTHY ORGANIZATION Wealth of resources … Click here and scroll down.
BOARD BEST PRACTICES (6 links here): Such a goldmine of help here from: a) Canadian resource – click here sample policies & governance tools and tips; b) from the U.S. click here for free download resources; and here to purchase the terrific “nonprofit policy sampler” 3rd edition $90 – PDF download and c) from Canada for larger nonprofits/charities click here (and then in search box type “20 questions not-for-profit” and d) for smaller organizations without staff support click here for “Grassroots Governance” and interesting story “janitor in the boardroom” click here.
RE-THINKING “STRATEGIC PLANNING” (4 links here): Please email David (email@example.com) to see our best practice Strategic Plan template. Click here for our Strategy services. Online resources: a) click here and scroll for several excellent articles, b) click here what role should the board play in strategic planning, c) click here if you have a board but no staff (yes you can still be strategic!), and d) click here and in search box type “20 questions not-for-profit strategy”
MANAGING STAFF (Canadian – 2 links here): 1) Excellent H.R. Toolkit (whether you have human resource staff or not), click here and I suggest starting with “I am a manager” which is in middle of page. 2) “20 Questions” booklet click here and in search box type “20 Questions”
- NONPROFIT BOARD LIABILITY EXPLAINED (Canadian – 2 links here): The best paper I’ve read click here. And from a law firm’s perspective click here
- LEGAL RISK MANAGEMENT CHECKLISTS (Canadian): click here for separate nonprofit, charity and church checklists from this well-regarded law firm for charities
- OPERATIONAL RISK MANAGEMENT (Canadian – 3 links here): A valuable 20 Questions PDF click here. Volunteer Canada/Public Safety Canada has this click here Best Practice Screening Tactics. From the USA here is my favourite risk website with a goldmine of articles and checklists : click here Nonprofitrisk.org
- INSURANCE FOR NONPROFITS (4 links here):Here is a helpful Volunteer Alberta overview click here Insurance Toolkit. Here are two documents David wrote click here for a short list of liability policies (I suggest you talk to an insurance broker about #1, #2 and #3 if you have paid staff at the least) and click here for Explaining Liability Insurance Policies. Finally, click here and view starting page 33 for Nonprofit specific – 20 Questions regarding Directors’ and Officers’ liability insurance Email David (firstname.lastname@example.org) for his free document “12 questions to email your Insurance broker 2 months before your renewal”.
RISK MANAGEMENT POLICY CREATION: Yes it’s American so keep eye on Canadian law, but it’s customizable, and the best out there. Low one-time fee and the site keeps updating! Multiple best practice wording choices on over 150 different policies. click here
- CHARITIES & THE C.R.A. (Canadian – 2 links here): click here requirements for charities and click here for CRA’s own checklists and resources
- FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT & CAPACITY BUILDING: Budgeting, Records & Financial Statements and Audits, click here (thanks again to Imagine Canada) and several great links on many areas including capacity building click here.
- OVERALL BEST PRACTICE STANDARDS (Canadian) 73 Standards for all Nonprofits and Charities cover board governance, staff management, volunteers, fundraising and finance. Click here. Not just for large charities (Level 1 sets standards for nonprofits/charities with under 5 staff). A who’s who of Canadian charities have adopted these.
- IF YOU NEED A BOOST (4 links here): My favourite finds so far: 1) this amazing senior in 70’s on importance of play click here; 2) click here to read article and see both picture on policeman and man he saved ; 3) click here for picture – shark takes his leg, he’s back surfing with prosthetic leg in those waters and 4) if you are a person of faith like myself here is good video series looking a life’s big questions – click here
QUESTION FOR YOU: Do you know of a great website you think should be up here? Please email email@example.com
QUESTIONS FOR DAVID: Please email me anytime on any of these topics, I want to help your nonprofit or charity if you are in Canada.
My email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
David Hartley, B.A., C.R.M. (Canadian Risk Management)