David Hartley has assisted hundreds of nonprofit organizations (public-benefit and member-benefit) in over 170 Canadian towns and cities from 2007 – Present (2021).
A) We consult and train in these 5 specific areas:
- Board Governance (Training & Consulting) We train the executive director/CEO and the Board best practices in creating an effective board (easy-to-use tools, engaging focused meetings, bylaws, policies, liability protections, tricky personalities) that clearly understands its role in the organization (long-term direction and protection), tapping into the skills and motivations around the table with focused, impactful full Board meetings separated from the work of focused committees/task forces.
- Strategic Planning We assist the executive director/CEO, board and staff in creating a highly practical and useable strategic plan.
- Risk Management (Training & Consulting) We assist the executive director, through targeted interviews, in creating a simple but strong risk management plan using a template that is easy to update.
- Leadership (Training) & Team-Building Sessions Half day or one day (usually off-site) sessions that your small or large team will never forget. Participants leave the session with fun memories and specific practical agreements. Best if followed up 6 months later with half day session to ensure accountability and make any necessary changes.
- LATEST: Financial Training & Consulting with Eric Plato.
B) David Hartley: Professional Background
- For-Profit Risk: David spent almost a decade in the for-profit world of risk and insurance, including over 7 years training insurance brokers, primarily for two of Canada’s largest property & casualty insurers: the Co-operators and Aviva.
- Not-for-Profit/Charity Risk: In 2007, David joined the national charity Imagine Canada, whose mission is to strengthen Canadian nonprofits and charities (www.imaginecanada.ca), and became the Director of their Insurance & Liability Resource Centre for Nonprofits. The Centre was a 5-year funded project of the Government of Ontario and David was with the Centre from the beginning to its completion in 2012.
- Not-for-Profit/Charity Consultant: From 2012 – Present (2021), David has worked full-time running his own consultantcy (www.nonprofithelp.ca). The bulk of his energy is spent on strategic planning, board governance and risk management, and always with national, provincial or local nonprofits and charities across Canada.
David has assisted hundreds of nonprofits and charities in over 170 Canadian towns, training over 25,000 leaders.
Education: David graduated with an Honours bachelor’s degree in Sociology and History after 4 years at York University / Redeemer College. He also has his Canadian Risk Management (C.R.M.) designation from the University of Toronto. He also is certified to train John Maxwell’s leadership material (founding member of John’s training team).
Personal Life: The joy of his life is his wonder-full wife Manda and their 4 amazing teenagers.
Manda studied Criminology at the University of Windsor and began her career in law enforcement.
After having children, Manda decided to make a career change, serving in various nonprofit positions, both as a volunteer (Scouts Canada, Municipal Government, a local theatre company, a local hospital and long-term care facility, veterinary clinic, Community Living, Canadian Diabetes Association, Heart & Stroke Foundation) and one long-term staff position at United Way.
She is experienced in strategic planning, operational organization, risk management, finance, data management, public speaking, board and committee leadership, volunteer and special event management, grass roots planning and execution, communication strategies and networking. Manda has worked in virtually every sector of her community developing meaningful relationships within Government, Private Sector and Not-for-Profit. She has a firm knowledge of community organization and mobilization, corporate structure, and community capacity building.
Manda currently works with David in several capacities managing clients, administration, development and updating of strategic and risk management planning documents and tools, and working together to create a superior product for our clients in the areas we specialize.
Beyond being David’s wife and best friend, Manda is a wonderful mother to our 4 kids.